One of the more unique features of our new bathroom is the penny floor made up of real pennies, not penny tiles. The floor was super easy to do - but it is difficult finding the patience to lay the pennies one by one. Brian and I worked on the floor little bits at a time.
The first thing we had to do was remove the vinyl floor that was previously installed. This was a huge pain and was the hardest part of the floor project. We got a special floor stripper to help remove the glue. Underneath the vinyl was the original tile that we had hoped to keep but once all the vinyl was off we saw it was not on very good condition.
It took hours and hours to get the entire floor to look as good as the photo above! Once all the floor was scraped and smooth (and after some minor repair work to fix a crack) the tile floor was primed and painted a dark gray. I would have been happy leaving it the dark gray but Brian insisted we stick to our original plan of the pennies.
We gathered as pennies as we could from family and friends and then went to the bank to get the rest. We started in the back corner of the bathroom where it wouldn't be obvious if we screwed up and started gluing them one by one. We just used tacky glue and regular ol' Elmer's glue to glue them down. One thing we learned was to go in one direction the entire time. We started going in multiple directions and because one of the walls was crooked, our lines got a little off. Because the penny floor is busy, the mistakes aren't that noticeable.
Once the floor was covered with pennies we sealed them in and down with a thick coat of a high gloss polyurethane. Since polyurethane is a softer material, for the final top coat we used a clear epoxy similar to this photo:
It had two bottles you pour together, and then pour over the entire floor. We had out dehumidifier plugged in and sat in in the bathtub to help dry it out faster. It also helped the fumes from getting too strong in the rest of the house.
That was pretty much it! Easy peasy. I have more pictures of us laboriously laying the pennies that I will post later (they're not on my computer right now). It really was an easy project and it looks beautiful now that its finished. The pennies are all different colors and some are shiny while others are dull. Here's some interesting facts:
The entire floor cost about $100 so there are roughly 10,000 pennies on the floor!
There are 23 Canadian pennies on the floor
There are19 wheat pennies on the floor
The oldest penny we found was an Indian Head from 1893. We did not put that one on the floor but it IS in the bathroom somewhere :)
The oldest penny actually on the floor is from 1945.